Re: Gnopernicus

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Matt Wilson wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 02:31:45PM -0700, William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-777-8123 wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Will Backman wrote:
> >
> > > Any chance of getting Gnopernicus in this release?  The speakup kernel
> > > and inclusion of festival are great, thank you RedHat.
> > >
> > Hi,
> >
> >      I'd also like to see Gnopernicus here, although as far as I know, it
> > doesn't do anything useful yet.  BTW, Speakup isn't in Phoebe.  I have
> > patched Phoebe kernels which I'll post to the Speakup site if there's any
> > interest.
>
> We were having some significant problems with non-us keyboards and
> speakup (i.e., you load a fr keymap and speakup interfered and
> keystrokes came up wrong).  Since speakup isn't in mainline kernels,
> it's not getting the exposure and wide-spread testing that it needs.
> Right now it's been dropped (as far as I know) from the Alan Cox -ac
> kernels, and also removed from our kernel.
>
> We're planning on including brltty and other less intrusive AT
> packages in the next release.  As for gnopernicus, every time I look
> it's far far from being usable, doesn't come close to something we can
> support, and is very far away from being as usable as something like
> JAWS.
>
> Cheers,

I sent Alan a replacement patch which should fix the non-English keyboard
problem.  I also attached it to bug 71136, but I haven't seen any further
comments.  For anyone who wants to test the fix, patched kernels can be
found at ftp://linux-speakup.org/pub/speakup/disks/redhat/phoebe/kernels/

     BTW, Matt, I've never used JAWS or any other Windows screen reader.
The only time I ever touched a machine with Windows loaded was when I took
this laptop out of the box and pressed the power-on button, opened the CD
drawer and inserted the RH7.1 CD-1.  Funny thing, It didn't boot into
Windows, and Disk Druid made short work of the FAT32 partition. <grin>
 --
Bill in Denver