Re: latest openssl ?

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 06:40:15AM -0800, Christopher McCrory wrote:
> 	I'm wondering why the latest OpenSSL (0.9.6h or 0.9.7-beta6 ) is not
> used.  openssl-0.9.6b-30 is included ( with security patches ) , but "It
> would be nice" to at least have the lastest stable release.
>
> yes? no? maybe?

Compatibility, probably.

<rant>
The OpenSSL folks change the interface like one changes underwear.  And
somebody should have taught them about shlib sonames, etc.  Perhaps
some OpenSSL developer could read Ulrich Drepper's papers on shared
library design.
</rant>

I certainly don't intent to sound ungrateful -- I am thankful every day
that I have OpenSSL and OpenSSH.  But it has historically been an
administrative nightmare.

	Bill Rugolsky