-----Original Message-----
From: Felipe Alfaro Solana [mailto:felipe_alfaro linuxmail org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 9:06 AM
To: phoebe-list redhat com

Hello,

I've installed Phoebe and, besides some bugs during installation I have
had, I think there are some changes to the new XFree86 version that are
breaking X servers like VNC and VMware X server.

When I start "vncserver" (which starts a session running as "root"), the
connect to that session and try to launch a "gnome-terminal", the
following error is thrown and "gnome-terminal" is killed immediately:

--- BEGIN ERROR ---
Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display ":1.0".

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-terminal' received an X Window System
error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 973 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.) aborting...

(process:3539): Gdk-ERROR (recursed) **: The program 'gnome-terminal'
received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadGC (invalid GC parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 976 error_code 13 request_code 60 minor_code 0)
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.) aborting...
Multiple segmentation faults occurred; can't display error dialog
--- END ERROR ---

The problem can be consistently reproduced when connecting to a remote
session running on Xvnc X server (vnc-server RPM package that comes with
Phoebe), or else, when running Phoebe under a VMware-emulated virtual
machine using the VMware supplied X server module.

If I connect locally (using the local, Matrox G200 hardware accelerated
X server, for example), through GDM, "gnome-terminal" works as expected.

Maybe something related to changes like shadowed mouse pointers?

Sincerely,

   Felipe Alfaro Solana

http://www.linuxmail.org/