Re: Swap partition

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

I have similar thoughts regarding ext3 journals. It appears to me that it might be advantageous to have it scattered over the entire filesystem, instead of in a sequential chunk of blocks.

Regarding ext3 journals on sequential chunks of blocks, does ext3 use a migrating journal like reiserfs (for example)? Without a migratable journal, writing to the same blocks repeatedly cause the drive to fail much sooner?

dedicate a disk drive for swap. If you do that, then I don't see any
point in a partition - use the whole drive.

It seems to me to make even more sense to raid or lvm between the two
drives, with swap partitions on both, at least for some workloads.  I
don't know whether the kernel will actually be smart enough to use
each disk's swap space intelligently, though.

About two years ago I asked about swap recommendations with two hard drives, and some kernel hacker recommended against using swap on a RAID device. He said that the kernel would make more intelligent use of I/O between two disks if you enable swap with the same priority. I don't remember who said suggested this though, and perhaps RAID or swap evolved since then so this may no longer be relevant.

Warren Togami
warren togami com