Re: Swap partition

On 28 Dec 2002, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2002, John Summerfield <phoebe computerdatasafe com au> wrote:

> >> Swap onto a logical volume, or use parted to resize your filesystems.
>
> > Do you mean a partition after the primaries? or are you talking about
> > LVM?
>
> LVM
>
> > The former is not better, and don't think LVM offers anything either.
>
> With LVM, you can have non-contiguous partitions, and you can also
> resize them off-line or, in the not-too-distant future, even on-line.

That's not going to help at all. I want my swap file amongst my data,
more especially, amongst the system software. I put it in /var.

> > Give me swap files. Far more flexible, I can add more any time, I can
> > easily remove them.
>
> Well, you can already have swap files, AFAIK.  You just can't set them
> up in the installer.

That's what I said. It's the reason that I cannot install Phoebe on a
system with 128 Mbytes of RAM (using the GUI) without creating a swap
partition, and that I will not do or recommend.

--

John