Re: Two floppy boot?

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 05:39:03PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> > I have a Pentium II system to my left (HP Vectra VE). No CD.
> > My HP Vectra XM has no CD.
> > One of my Dells doesn't, another didn't until I happened to have a spare
> > CD drive.
>
> A CD drive costs like $20 these days. For whatever that's worth. :)

That is not the point!! I have tons of CD drives laying around. I routinely
rm them from the machines. When I build a router I do not need/want a CD in it.
It attracts attantion and people try (unsuccessfully) to use it. We also RM them
from the Desktop machines. It is a security thing. Off the top of my head
I agree with John. 2 Floppys for boot is stupid. I have no problem with needing
2 different disks for network vs hard disk install. It was simple. Besides
99.9999999% of most people's installs are done one way. In my case I almost
always do mfs installs.

> > Burning CDs to use for network installs isn't convenient.
>
> Floppies are so unreliable these days -- to me, it's *so* much more
> convenient to have boot cds. The net install CDs don't take long to burn
> either, because they only need a few megabytes of data. And speed at which
> the kernel loads is so much better.

BS!! Even of a floppy goes bad how hard is it to do
"dd if=netboot.img of=/dev/fd0". Wait 30 seconds and you are back in business.
If you scratch a cd lets see you make another one of those in under a minute.
Everyone has preferences but even if you prefer to go the CD route you still
can with the single boot floppy method. IOW you get the best of both worlds IMO.
I fail to see the advantage of this new method.

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl rogueind com	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....