Re: Two floppy boot?

On 28 Dec 2002, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-12-28 at 11:17, Tom Diehl wrote:
> > That is not the point!! I have tons of CD drives laying around. I routinely
> > rm them from the machines. When I build a router I do not need/want a CD in it.
> > It attracts attention and people try (unsuccessfully) to use it. We also RM them
> > from the Desktop machines. It is a security thing.
> Removing the CD drive is a security thing?  I'd much rather remove the
> floppy drive.  You can't write to the CD drive, you can to the floppy,
> so there's a lot more chances for people to be devious with a floppy.

Maybe security is not the right term BUT it keeps people from trying to install
software from a CD drive (they do not understand that it is a linux box not
a winbloze box). Most software today will not fit on a floppy. Granted they
still cannot install it but they try and generally screw something else up.
It removes some of the temptation to play.

> Not to mention that they have physical access to the machine.  Just how
> secure is that?

Yes, I know that if they have access to the physical machine they can get into it.
My users are not that sophisticated. They just like to play and break things
and then say that they do not have any idea how things got broke or they
use the da*n CD for a cup holder and spill coffee or Coke in the machine.
Believe me when I tell you it has solved a whole host of problems for us.

Since they will not let me fire them for being stupid I had to find another way
to cut down on the problems.

.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl rogueind com	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market
			with good software." -- Bill Gates 1976

   			We are still waiting ....