Re: I want to use /dev/ataraid/d0

I built my own computer recently and run Linux software RAID on it. The
building process was a whole parade of rather expensive hardware lessons
for me. I started out with an Asus P4T533 motherboard which had a
Promise PDC20276 chip onboard and 2 extra connectors dedicated to the
RAID function. However, it is hardwired for RAID functions only; I
couldn't use the extra connectors as extra IDE busses. I couldn't get
ATA RAID to work on the busses, either. I also had memory corruption
problems. The memory problems convinced me to dump the Asus board. I
think I might have been okay with this board if I had installed
Microsoft Windows first and then downloaded all the motherboard drivers
from the Asus website. Then install Linux on the system.

I'm now using a Gigabyte GA-8IHXP2 motherboard and that is exactly how I
updated the motherboard drivers. First Microsoft Windows. Then the
drivers. Then Red Hat Linux. This board also has onboard Promise RAID --
the same PDC20276 chip, but the the chip driver software allows ATA133
(IDE) functionality so I can connect extra drives to the extra
connectors and have them treated as IDE devices. I run software RAID
using 2-Western Digital WD1200JB drives. I like the Gigabyte board a lot
more than the Asus board. It was easier to install (but I had learned
many lessons by then.) It forgave my embarrassing continuum of errors.
It just worked, it still does, and does not seem anywhere near as
frustrating as the Asus board.

So what I'm saying is, be careful with hardware choices on your quest
for RAID. PCI cards come expensive. If you replace a motherboard be
practical and install Windows first just to get the drivers. Approach it
with lots of time, patience, and cash.