Mozilla Font Rendition

I installed phoebe on my old Sony Vaio PCG-F350 laptop. When I point
Mozilla at my personal web site

http://www.lingpgmr.com/

the fonts render horribly, This same web page renders decently but
definitely not as intended on the Red Hat-supplied Mozilla binaries in
8.0. I wrote this web site for Internet Explorer and have become very
rusty on my coding techniques in the past year. I assume my CSS
stylesheets are specifying fonts which are simply not present on phoebe.
Also, the address bar text in the phoebe flavor of Mozilla looks awful
on the laptop. Small letters squished together and clicking once on the
URL doesn't seem to select the whole line. The mouse pointer and
insertion bar cast annoying "shadows" as well (and not just when Mozilla
is running.)