Speed Penalty On Vaio Laptops

I installed phoebe on my Sony Vaio PCG-F350 and everything seems to run
at a molasses pace. Phoebe is quite slow on this machine. Terminal
windows take from 1 to 2 seconds to launch. Mozilla and Evolution take
longer. I didn't get the impression that 8.0 was noticeably slow on this
machine, but phoebe strikes me that way. On initial bootup, there is a
lengthy period where the screen blacks out and then the X server starts
really slow.