how to avoid stupid bugs?

In every first new red hat beta there are lots of stupid little bugs
which shouldn't be there. I don't blame anybody, I'd like to discuss
about this instead, maybe we can improve something.

Some recent examples :
* making a boot disk during install doesn't work
* kudzu and mice are completely messed up in phoebe2. Not detecting mice
locked keyboard, and most of ps/2 and serial mice weren't detected.
* right clicking on a desktop launcher and selecting Properties brings
up icon properties, not launcher properties
* xmms crashes on trying to play a non-existent file in play list

The problem with these bugs is that they appear out of nowhere, on
features that used to work fine and that are very common use cases.
There should be bugs only in new features. So why it this happening?

A reason I can think of is that major features are often (maybe too
often) rewritten from scratch. It's not unusual to see on freshmeat
announcements: "What's new: completely rewritten". How can a developer
throw away tested and working code to start all over again, introducing
new bugs which annoy users and waste testers time and theirs ( developer
must fix these bugs, qa has to verify the fix it's working...). Maybe
it's easier to write your own code than understanding somebody else's.
There's also the 'not made here' syndrome. So there's a lot of
refactoring (which it's not bad if it's not refactoring everything at
once). Having automated test cases for all features would help reducing
the number of bugs which shouldn't exist. Does the open source developer
rely more on the many eyeballs than these tests?

Other suggestions, comments?

--
Soluţii informatice bazate pe Linux / Linux-based IT solutions
www.galuna.ro