Re: Gnome Login Error Message

Tom Coady wrote:

Whenever I log in to gnome I am greeted by an error message that reads
"Could not look up internet address for redhat. This will prevent Gnome from
operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
redhat to the file /etc/hosts"

Login Anyway?

Well I added this line as instructed but it keeps giving the same message:
[root redhat root]# more /etc/hosts
# that require network functionality will fail.               fish  localhost.localdomain localhost           redhat.com

I can't remember if I filed this with Bugzilla, but it's been a
_constant annoyance_ when logging into Gnome as a
*dhcp client*(. You can still login and you WILL be connected
even if you ignore the error message. To get rid of the annoyance,
just open a root console and add the address(es) and dhcp-***
(in place of "redhat.com") to your hosts file.

Since Videotron tends to change the dhcp addresses frequently,
I always have to re-edit the file. Not a major bug, but an
annoying problem, just the same. (You won't find this if you
login to the KDE desktop).

Elton ;-)