Re: ALSA (was: Re: Contributions to Fedora)

Adam Scarcella <adamo97 attbi com> wrote :

> Secondly to Matthias, I noticed that you posted the latest versions of
> alsa-driver alsa-lib & alsa-utils on http://freshrpms.net/ so I grabbed
> them but they wouldn't install either.

As you also said, Phoebe *is* a beta, and this partially explains why
everything isn't as easy as it should be. With a regular release, you could
use up2date and be done. Of course, it only works with Red Hat packages,
and ALSA aren't part of them, as ALSA isn't supported by Red Hat, nor
officially part of any stable Linux kernel. Still, with non-beta releases,
I always have available alsa-kernel packages for all the latest errata
kernels... but that would be too much waisted time for betas!

Honestly, a "newbie" installing a beta release of Red Hat Linux should be
able to install my ALSA packages without too much trouble IMHO. Did you
read carefully my ALSA page? It's very short and contains everything anyone
should need to get it working, even if it's without actually understanding
the entire process.

My ALSA page :
(I feel like I'm posting it again, and again, and again...)

My RPM creation page if you need more info about rpm recompiling :

And that should be pretty much it. If you're still stuck, post more
detailed information on what is blocking you (error messages for example)
as you'll get much more help than by just posting "but they wouldn't
install either".

Good luck,

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.27
Load : 0.00 0.05 0.09, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:54)