Re: USB Camera - Detected through Kudzu but notconfigurable through gtkcam

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 01:53, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 21:12, Phoebe - 7M3 - Live wrote:
>
> > I submitted a bug report. It was closed as NOTFIXING
> >
> > Since Red Hat can detect my scanner in GNOME (but not in KDE). I was a
> > bit proud of the first USB "baby step". Prodding them to push for more
> > software compatibility didn't work.
>
> This isn't a problem at the distribution level...this is a problem
> inherent in the application level (or kernel level...depending).  Redhat
> doesn't have the resources to tackle the problem of making every
> peripheral work(when the hardware makers aren't providing usable specs
> for open source developers to work with).  If the underlying application
> project(I'm assuming its gphoto) developers haven't begun to support the
> camera model...there's very little hope that Redhat is going to champion
> this cause, more than enough work to go around squashing theading
> related bugs, which is a distribution level problem.

Even though I have been using Red Hat for awhile (since distribution
4.2). I get confused a bit about what Red Hat's role is for the
distributions that they come up with.

I keep thinking of the Red Hat distribution as a platform. Not just a
collection of packages. Therefore, I assumed that all of the problems
with hardware recognition were inherent to the "Red Hat Platform".

I understand that resources are better utilized to concentrate on
resolving the threading issues. I appreciate the level of sophistication
that the Red Hat Distribution has advanced to.

My point was that dumbing down the interface wouldn't attract the
mainstream users for long. If they were to just buy a product off of the
shelf and not check to see if it was supported by Linux.Most people
would blame the computing environment and not the hardware device
distributor.

>   Read over the
> gphoto projects homepage.  It is very difficult for developers to handle
> cameras that use their own non standard protocal to communicate because
> the hardware manufacturers refuse to cooperate and provide usable specs
> for developers to code against.

It would serve these developers to add a prompt screen for the users to
take the product back. "There is no Linux support from the vendor for
this product." Having a prompt that tells you that your camera is not
detected shades the blame on the lack of the developer's motivation.

Personally, I had no forethought of using this product in Linux. I heard
that the USB support was pretty poor.
When my scanner started working, I had hope that the camera from the
same vendor as the scanner would work. I'm staying with Red Hat. The
lack of my camera working through Linux is just one less selling point
for me to try to convince others to make the switch.

> So this isn't really a bug...since the underlying project doesn't claim
> to support yer camera model.  talk nicely to the gphoto developers and
> maybe they can work on getting yer camera supported.  Or like its been
> suggested already get a compact flash reader...there are several usb cf
> readers that are supported by the linux kernel...several are not...make
> very very sure the reader you buy is listed as supported by
> linux-usb.org or you can invest in a tiny ide to cf card adapter and
> connect it like an ide harddrive.  I've been happy using both a sandisk
> usb cf reader...and an ide cf adapter.  But I'm much happier that my usb
> scanner is finally really supported by the sane project....

I will look into the flash readers. Though for the camera presently,
I'll boot into windows and download them. Maybe dropping a line to
gphoto will get some results for more camera support.

Now, about which project the drivers for recognition of hardware. I
would venture that it is best to have the device interact through the
"platform". I remember using WordPerfect for Linux from the 5.2
distribution. My printer at the time was a Lexmark. It worked through
WordPerfect and their collection of printer drivers. But printing
through other programs was not possible for me. In distribution 6.0, I
believe that I could run this printer as an HP 350.(model # may be
wrong, it was awhile ago.)

System level hardware recognition, seems to be the best route, in my
view.

Thanks for your viewpoints.

Jim - Almost 100 percent Windows Free, (except for the camera.)

--
Once is happenstance,
Twice is coincidence,