Re: SGI-FAM errors

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003 13:19, Phoebe - 7M3 - Live wrote:
> I have been getting mail to root, with SGI-FAM running at bootup. It
> always replies with <No address>

I suspect this is from a service such as logwatch.  If you want logwatch on,
I'd suggest telling it to not report such log messages.

> Is there any need to worry about a non-addressed sgi-fam related
> message?

Not that I know of.  With the default Red Hat configuration, only local
clients can connect to the FAM daemon.  I think the message means that xinetd
(the superserver that runs fam on demand) could not determine the client's IP
address, but since it's local anyway, I don't think it matters.

> I have sgi-fam running at boot now. Are there many applications that use
> fam for quicker file searches?

FAM is used by KDE, GNOME, Enlightenment, courier-imap, and possibly others.
I don't think that anything breaks if FAM is disabled, but I find its
functionality quite useful.  (It lets programs know immediately when a file
changes, so for instance Konqueror or Nautilus will immediately refresh their
view if a file it's looking at has changed.)

There's more information about FAM at <http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/>.

Hope this helps

--
Michael Wardle