Re: USB Camera - Detected through Kudzu but not configurable throughgtkcam

Jim Cornette wrote:

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 01:53, Jef Spaleta wrote:

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 21:12, Phoebe - 7M3 - Live wrote:

I submitted a bug report. It was closed as NOTFIXING

Personally, I had no forethought of using this product in Linux. I heard
that the USB support was pretty poor.

       You would be *more than pleasantly suprised* when
you browse this link:
Linux-USB device overview <http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/>

When my scanner started working, I had hope that the camera from the
same vendor as the scanner would work. I'm staying with Red Hat. The
lack of my camera working through Linux is just one less selling point
for me to try to convince others to make the switch.

   I would also highly recommend two other links:
and http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/ (if you are
using  Philips USB webcam.

... (edited) ...

would venture that it is best to have the device interact through the
"platform". I remember using WordPerfect for Linux from the 5.2
distribution. My printer at the time was a Lexmark. It worked through
WordPerfect and their collection of printer drivers. But printing
through other programs was not possible for me. In distribution 6.0, I
believe that I could run this printer as an HP 350.(model # may be
wrong, it was awhile ago.)

   Open Office is an excellent substitute for WP and
MS Office: amont other things, you can import and
export (save as) MS Word documents, *and* run
Power Point presentations. WRT Lexmark, their
support of linux (including Lexmark open source
drivers) is to be highly recommended.
HTH & cheers,

Elton ;-)