Re: Gentoo-like Performance?

On 4 Feb 2003, David Krider wrote:

> Again, I don't question that a non-trivial part of the speedup I *felt*
> was that the Gentoo kernel had the pre-emptive patch. I noticed a small
> speedup by bringing it over to Valhalla (which only has the
> "low-latency" patch.)

I'll leap in here;-)

I don't know what the pre-emptive patch does, but I do recall that one
of the feaures of OS/2 is that the foreground task (the one that has
focus) has a priority boost. If that's what the pre-emptive patch does,
then there will indeed be a significant improvement.

On OS/2 it is easily demonstrated. It's implementation of klondike has
an auto-play feature, and you only need run two at once. Whichever has
focus runs speedily, the other very slowly.

If there's an equivalent patch for Linux, try it. If you can figure how
to do it (I suspect you will also need to get into XFree or your
preferred wm), do it, try it, submit it.

--

John