From one camp to another - hardware support

Lucas Albers wrote:
My 2 cents.

When I worked at Microsoft, I tested hardware compatibility with Windows XP.

Getting the hardware to work with the device is trivial.

In the grand scheme of things.

Getting it to work in all manner of weird configurations and with all the other devices out their; is the hard part.

Just making a simple scanner work correctly with windows for example is a major undertaking.

You got to have all the hardware from the manufacturer, and the drivers from the manufacturers,

then you have to test it.

Talk about blah; testing hardware compatibility is a thankless time-consuming job. So many tricky bugs out their.

It is interesting to hear how the binary only testing is done. The job does sound a bit drab.

I still have a hangover from windows 95 changing all my interrupts, when I installed my 3com card into the machine. it fouled up my sound card settings, modem and ethernet card with one single shot. I had to take out the ethernet card, reconfigure the sound card, lock down the IRQs and DMA settings. Reinstall the ethernet card, then run the vendors setup program for the card.

Red Hat set them all up correctly, on first goal.

Redhat does a pretty damn good job of supporting the hardware, seamlessly and bug-free. It's one of the reasons we are a Redhat Linux only shop.

It has the best hardware support, and it works most of the time without any configuration.

The seemless setup is why I am spoiled for more of "it just works, what setup?"

Jim

--Luke

--Computer Science Sysadmin, MSU Bozeman

--admin(AT)cs.montana.edu 994-3931

-- Parts that positively cannot be assembled in improper order will be.