Re: Automatic Updates Every Night?

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Adam Scarcella wrote:

> O.K. I understand your point and it makes perfect sense. However, I would
> still like to update to the latest packages without having to kill myself
> with dependency issues.

Sure.  This method is a variant of what I do in testing and
development.

1. Mirror the rawhide onto a stable mirror host daily.  Also
   place the last stable and updates mirrors on that server
   for easier recovery and network installs
2. Pull, build and install 'yum' from
   http://www.dulug.duke.edu/yum/
3. Using 'yum-arch', rebuild a nightly archive on the mirror
   host
4. Running 'yum' on your 'victim' host, update against RawHide
   as desired.

... this will eventually walk itself into a unbootable or
non-X starting or whatever state on the victim, for Raw Hide
is for testing and designed to permit really rough cut
testing, in some places.

I am quite serious and do this myself (and have for years); my
internal mirror ftp server is:

[herrold oldnews herrold]$ ssh ftp
herrold ftp's password:
[herrold ftp herrold]$ hostname
ftp.victim.lan
[herrold ftp herrold]$

(My personal day-to-day box is 'oldnews' -- the old News
server at this site -- my usual victims have such compelling
names as:  dhcp-97.victim.lan)

5. Using an automated kickstart install, re-build from the
last production release on the victim, and start the process
again.

As a hopeful note, my host 'winston', as in Winston Smith, of
the country Oceania, started life as a RHL 7.2, and still
lives fine, eating, however, nothing but production releases
and official RH beta's.

Some notes on this process appear at:
   http://www.owlriver.com/tips/
toward the bottom.