Re: Automatic Updates Every Night?

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Adam Scarcella wrote:

> O.K. I understand your point and it makes perfect sense. However, I would
> still like to update to the latest packages without having to kill myself
> with dependency issues.

Sure.  This method is a variant of what I do in testing and

1. Mirror the rawhide onto a stable mirror host daily.  Also
   place the last stable and updates mirrors on that server
   for easier recovery and network installs
2. Pull, build and install 'yum' from
3. Using 'yum-arch', rebuild a nightly archive on the mirror
4. Running 'yum' on your 'victim' host, update against RawHide
   as desired.

... this will eventually walk itself into a unbootable or
non-X starting or whatever state on the victim, for Raw Hide
is for testing and designed to permit really rough cut
testing, in some places.

I am quite serious and do this myself (and have for years); my
internal mirror ftp server is:
[herrold oldnews herrold]$ ssh ftp
herrold ftp's password:
[herrold ftp herrold]$ hostname
[herrold ftp herrold]$

(My personal day-to-day box is 'oldnews' -- the old News
server at this site -- my usual victims have such compelling
names as:  dhcp-97.victim.lan)

5. Using an automated kickstart install, re-build from the
last production release on the victim, and start the process

As a hopeful note, my host 'winston', as in Winston Smith, of
the country Oceania, started life as a RHL 7.2, and still
lives fine, eating, however, nothing but production releases
and official RH beta's.

Some notes on this process appear at:
toward the bottom.

-- Russ Herrold
 Copyright (C) 2003 R P Herrold       | Owl River Company
 herrold owlriver com  NIC: RPH5 (US) | "The World is Open to Linux (tm)"
   My words are not deathless prose,  | Open Source LINUX solutions ...
      but they are mine.              | info owlriver com -- Columbus, OH
 gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 0x7BFB98B9
 gpg --list-keys 2> /dev/null | grep 7BFB98B9