Shuttle FX21 motherboards, boot failure

The FX21 is the motherboard in Shuttle SK41g 'small form factor' PCs; so
far as I'm aware, the difficulty is the VIA KM266/VT8735 North Bridge
chipset.

If I try to install Phoebe, the CD runs, I get the choice of what I want
to do, I hit <enter> to install, and the process gets to 'uncompressing
the kernel' and hangs hard.  (Very same CDs install without difficulty
on another machine.)

This holds for _every_ 2.4 kernel between 2.4.3 and 2.4.20; 2.4.21-pre4
will boot.  (every 2.2 kernel I've tried is fine, Windows (loaded by the
vendor for testing) is fine, I can rebuild kernels, RH 7.1 with the
as-shipped 2.4.2 kerenl runs as expected so long as it's dealing with
the parts of the machine it's heard of; no indication of a hardware
problem.)

Any chance of the Phoebe kernel incrementing from pre3 to pre4? :)

Graydon Saunders
oak uniserve com