Fonts - directories for fontconfig?

I've read what there is in the release notes on fonts. I'm still trying to figure out how to add font directories. One way that does seem to work is manually editing /etc/fonts/fonts.conf. Unfortunately xfree86 overwrites it every time on upgrade.

So, I tried local.conf - as fonts.conf suggests, and ran fc-cache. That didn't work. Here's local.conf:

cat /etc/fonts/local.conf
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/local.conf file to customize system font access in
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf -->

How should local.conf look?

I do find it odd users need to hand write xml to set up font directories. It seems the only alternative is to copy all the various fonts to separate directories for each font server. Putting aside the sheer waste of space ( yea, I know I can buy 120 gigs for $150, but still ... ), any new font has to go into at least three directories ( X, fontconfig, openoffice) and on my dual boot machine - the windows font directory.

fontconfig is perfectly happy looking in more than one font directory. Why can't it use ( or have it's own version of ) chkfontpath?