still can't record (was Re: NO SOUNDS whatever (after recent rawhideupdates)??!!

Elton Woo wrote:

       I was just trying the sound recorder in Gnome with either
a mini-mike (from an old recordable walkman), or with a line-in from
my radio. The recorder Gnome Recorder 2.2.1.1 says it's recording,
but the slider doesn't move, and I get a 0 byte file when I "save
as" a WAV file.

At the same time, I notice that I had connected my speakers to
the wrong jack in my sound card. But now that (after a power off
and reconnection to the correct jack). I have NO SOUND in either
Gnome or KDE.

oops! "operator error" here! The "bug" is sitting at the keyboard. I am able to hear system sounds, and I am now playing my radio (connected via it's earphone jack) to either "mic" or "line-in" on my sound card.

CREATIVE LABS Ensoniq 64 PCI (ES1371), [Audio PCI-97, Rev. 08].

Perhaps I need a *powered mike* to record? I was trying with
either of two stereo microphones which I had with recordable
Walkman casette players / recorders.

Though I am now listening to my radio via myu computer
speakers, I still cannot *record* anything.  File information
in Gnome Recorder (2.2.1.1) shows the file size, but selecting
"save as" and I just get the mouse's hour-glass pointer.

IMHO, my 1Gb Athlon (512 Mb RAM) shouldn't take _over
15 minutes_ to save a 1.7 Gb sound file, should it? <*shrug*>.

.... I'm off to check out bugzilla on this.

Elton & >/ <--- dazed and confused penguin ...