Can't kill nautilus

I'd rather not have nautilus draw its icons on the desktop background.
In 8.0 this could be disabled by clicking through "nautilus -> edit ->
preferences -> desktop & trash", and de-selecting the "Use nautilus to
draw the desktop" item.  Under 8.1, I cannot find any equivalent option.

I've tried "killall nautilus && gnome-session-save" without success
(the killall works, but nautilus gets resurrected anyway), and would
rather not have to resort to "rm $( which nautilus )", since I like
being able to start nautilus by clicking on the "Home folder" menu item.

--
John Kodis                                    Goddard Space Flight Center
kodis mail630 gsfc nasa gov                      Greenbelt, Maryland, USA