Re: Movie watching

Elton Woo <elwoo videotron ca> wrote :

> Xine, or preferably Totem, both available from freshrmpms.net.

Not totem anymore as the latest versions have such requirements that they
can inly be recompiled on Phoebe, not Psyche. I guess I'll put a totem
package in my phoebe/testing directory.

> You'll also need aalib*, lirc*, and sine-libs* rpms to install xine.

Due to recent changes, it's no longer "xine-libs" from the "xine" source
package, but "xine-lib" from a source package of its own.

> This will allow you to play mpeg files. IIRC in the not too distant
> past one could also play avi files in (Red Hat or Mandrake) linux.
> Now you'll have to get the codec elsewhere.
> Unfortunately, I am unable to find linux codecs for asf and wmv files.

Go to the MPlayer website, http://www.mplayerhq.hu and download the codec
archives you need, and drop the Win32 DLLs into /usr/lib/win32 (that you
may need to create). From there on, they will be used when no native codecs
are available for a given format. This might also work with xine, although
I didn't check recently.

> As you may be aware mp3 support in Red Hat (as of version 8.0) is
> not present due to legalities. Thus you'll need to get
> xmms-mp3-1.2.7-13.p.i386.rpm bu downloading it from
> here:  <http://www.gurulabs.com/downloads.html>.
>           It provides the two missing xmms plugins:
> /usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmpg123.la
> /usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmpg123.so

It's also available from freshrpms.net :-) I wonder why people have always
preferred giving that link, especially when already mentionning
freshrpms.net earlier, go figure :-) Not really important anyway, getting
mp3 to play is the main concern ;-)

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.34
Load : 0.10 0.18 0.39, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (11:48)