Re: Port 8080

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Mellor" <john mellor dyndns org>
To: <phoebe-list redhat com>
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: Port 8080

> I have a LinkSys BEFSR41 cable-modem router in the same configuration as
> you do.  I think that you will find that you have enabled external
> administration of your router for some strange reason -- a huge security
> risk.  You should probably turn that off.  Go to the Advanced tab,
> Filters tab, and deselect the Remote Management and Remote Upgrade
> buttons.  Port-forward 8080 on your LinkSys router (in the Advanced tab,
> Forwarding tab) to the Linux box, and deal with it there.  If you're
> running the default Lokkit firewall-for-amateurs thingy that RedHat
> ships, then it is already set up to deny that port unless you've
> explicitly opened it.

Remote management is already off.  Do you have 8080 forwarded to your linux
box?  Is it blocked from access if it is?  Have you tested it via telnet to
see?

[reddawg homer reddawg]$ telnet mellor.dyndns.org 8080
Trying 65.48.133.198...
Connected to mellor.dyndns.org.
Escape character is '^]'.

Your in same situation that I am it seems.

Mike