Re: Contributions to Fedora

Audioslave - 7M3 - Live <creed7m3live columbus rr com> wrote :

> Now to try to understand apt a bit better. I have rpm-4.2-0.56
> installed with upgrading to Phoebe. Is this version of apt supposed to
> have troubles or is it safe for a machine running phoebe?

I haven't had a single problems so far with rpm 4.2 and apt.

> I had troubles with the lockup with the newer kernel (-39 at the time of
> problem) I have kernel-2.4.18-24.8.0 (From Rawhide) and
> kernel-2.4.20-2.47.1 (From psyche) installed presently.

I think you meant the other way around ;-) (Rawhide <-> Psyche)

> My last lockup was running the -39 kernel with rpm 4.1.x installed. It
> worked sucessfully with the standard psyche kernel, but locked up with
> the rawhide kernel and psyche.

I don't think that's quite representative. Lockups with rpm 4.1 are quite
random... and when you interrupt its operation with a SIGKILL, you get
stale locks that prevent rpm from running properly again.

> Question: Which site has the best version of apt for a phoebe
> installation? I'm confused to whether fedora, freshrpms or another site
> was the source.

Well, it wasn't freshrpms.net for sure as I don't provide a Phoebe nor a
Rawhide repository ;-) I guess it was fedora then, although I do provide an
apt package recompiled for Phoebe/Rawhide for which you then need to find a
repository to use with.

> Since I fowled up the system, so many times, now. I'm a bit lost. I
> don't want to bomb the system, yet again.

Why not? Isn't that the fun part? ;-)
If you don't want to bomb the system, I really recommend you stick with
Psyche, as the bugs in beta releases always suck you up into updating part
(or all) of your system to Rawhide! ;-)

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.47.1
Load : 0.10 0.12 0.35, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:52)