Re: Automount CD-ROM/DVD-ROM problems

On Wednesday, February 19, 2003 13:08, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 20:46, Michael Wardle wrote:
> > Isn't Red Hat supposed to have CDs automount by default (at least
> > on a desktop/workstation installation class)?  If so, which
> > mechanism does it use to achieve this?
>
> errr...maybe you didn't actually read any of what i wrote.
> GNOME --> uses magicdev
> KDE --> uses autorun

No, I did read your message, I just assumed they would use something
that worked everywhere (perhaps autofs or supermount) rather than
supporting at least three things that all perform a similar function.

As I said, I'm not going to go messing with three different things just
to get the system to act in a user-friendly, Windows-like manner.  If
it takes someone to be messing around with three different things to
achieve this, then it would be really nice if Red Hat made it work by
default (at least on desktop/workstation class installations).

When I find I've nothing better to do, I might configure and enable
autofs and ensure that the CD-ROM drive is user mountable.

--
Michael Wardle
Adacel Technologies