Re: using up2date to upgrade

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 12:42, Tom Coady wrote:
> Tom Diehl wrote:
> > I do not know about up2date BUT yum does in place upgrades quite
> > nicely for me. Only need to reboot to start the new kernel.
>
> Thanks for that tip - is this how to run it?
>
> [root phoebe .gnupg]# yum update
> Gathering package information from servers
> Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.3 base
> Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.3 updates
> rpmdb: /var/lib/rpm/Packages: unsupported hash version: 8
> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 24, in ?
>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>   File "yummain.py", line 144, in main
>   File "clientStuff.py", line 146, in rpmdbNevralLoad
>   File "clientStuff.py", line 139, in openrpmdb
> NameError: global name 'RpmError' is not defined

For phoebe updates you need to use the daily releases:
get the most current one - available here:

http://www.dulug.duke.edu/yum/download/daily/

And phoebe3's base url is:

http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/phoebe/i386/

a 'yum update' should work - except that some pkgs have been pulled from
phoebe3 that were in phoebe2 - yum will just bail and tell you what you
should remove. Automatical removal w/o explicitly requesting it is evil
and dangerous imo.

thanks,
-sv