Re: using up2date to upgrade

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Justin Georgeson wrote:

> I believe I remember someone saying you could manually upgrade the
> redhat-release package, then you could use up2date to do a live distro
> upgrade, of course having to manuall install the newer kernel and
> reboot. Can anyone confirm/deny this, or expand upon how to do it?

Yes, that should work, and you should be able to persuade up2date to do
the kernel as well, eg. by clicking the boxes in the GUI. Just download
the redhat-release RPM from the new beta, install it, eg.
rpm -Fvh redhat-release*rpm
and run up2date. Of course this will only work when RedHat produce a
8.0.94 channel, which wasn't there when I looked just now.
Of course, such an upgrade isn't supported by RedHat.

	Michael Young