HOWTO recover a lost root password (WHILE logged in)??

Is there any way to recover a lost root password, _WHILE_ logged into
one's user account? By that I mean, _without_ having to boot the system
via floppy... all the links I can find mention booting -single, and *then*
issuing the password command...

TIA

Elton ;-)