Re: HOWTO recover a lost root password (WHILE logged in)??

Elton Woo wrote:
Is there any way to recover a lost root password, _WHILE_ logged into
one's user account? By that I mean, _without_ having to boot the system
via floppy... all the links I can find mention booting -single, and *then*
issuing the password command...

TIA

Elton ;-)

It depends on how much time you have on your hands.

You could do it easily if you had sudo access ;o)

Is there some reason that you must keep the machine running instead of rebooting? You can just reboot and put a ' 1' on the kernel boot line in grub, unless you protected the grub menus with the same password :o(

All other options I can think of involve a lot of processing power and a lot of time.

Forrest