Re: 20 minutes with Phoebe3 were enough to find a number of bugs

On Friday, February 21, 2003 11:56, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> In my completely consistent and paranoid world view...not having to
> create a normal user at install is unnerving.  Maybe there is some
> logic in not requiring normal user creation if you do a minimal
> install or an extremely customized install that doesnt include gnome
> or kde (by some miraculous twist of fate)..but someone needs to
> explain the reason to me, using very short words, cuz I just don't
> see why its good to avoid creating a normal user account...nothing
> good is going to come out of having newbies logining as root all the
> time....even in a console only system.

I prefer to not have to.

Here's some examples where you don't want to:
- a mail or Web server where you only ever log in to administrate it
- a machine that uses a remote user database (NIS, LDAP, etc.)
- you would prefer to create the user using a different tool

(these are not intended as flawless, definitive examples, but rather
simply to illustrate the point.)

It's a good idea to provide the option to a user and recommend they
create one, but it certainly shouldn't be mandatory.

Michael Wardle
Adacel Technologies