Re: Firstboot adduser / no root gui logins (WAS: 20 minutes withPhoebe3 were enough to find a number of bugs)

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 01:08, Michael Wardle wrote:
> On Friday, February 21, 2003 11:56, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> I prefer to not have to.
> Here's some examples where you don't want to:
> - a mail or Web server where you only ever log in to administrate it
> - a machine that uses a remote user database (NIS, LDAP, etc.)
> - you would prefer to create the user using a different tool
> (these are not intended as flawless, definitive examples, but rather
> simply to illustrate the point.)
> It's a good idea to provide the option to a user and recommend they
> create one, but it certainly shouldn't be mandatory.

After firstboot has finished the adduser section:
 check that there has been at least one user has been added
 if true
	disable root logins from the GUI
	leave alone, the user isn't interested in first boot

I think chances are, that if first boot asks for a username and password
the average user would add a username and password. (As a side note: I'm
not sure what the security pros/cons are of having an option for a
newbie to create their own account, but have it automatically login.)

I tend to want to skip adding users during install (if text based or the
firstboot version), over two/three systems using nfs exports all over
the place it makes sense to use the same userids.

Advanced user maintenance is missing from the firstboot adding of users,
but is taken care of much quicker than my fingers can type with a simple
bash script.

just a few of my "it really is time to get some sleep" thoughts.
Adam Allen.

adam dynamicinteraction co uk
pgp http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=adam%40dynamicinteraction.co.uk