Re: Redhat's intentions for streaming media support in Mozilla

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 11:11:05AM -0800, Todd Booher scripsit:
> If redhat is serious about going after the desktop market (which
> I think they are) then they need to address this area.  If that
> requires them to license some technology to do it, that's what should
> be done.  This is a win-win for both the consumer and redhat.

It would cost Redhat a lot of money for the license, which they will not
recoup, because there *is* no desktop market worth mentioning, and most
of what there is would react very badly to being asked to pay for some
particular proprietary media format.

There's a little bit of a chicken and egg problem, here, and it's one
that is best solved by some third party specializing in packaging video
solutions.  (Consider how effective a solution freshrpms.net is.)

--
oak uniserve com | Uton we hycgan    hwaer we ham agen,