Re: Redhat's intentions for streaming media support in Mozilla

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:00:00 -0800, you wrote:

>Real is the only cross platform technology
>out of the big 3 in popular use today - and
>the community supported real player is free
>of charge.

1) saying Real is in popular use is a bit of a stretch.  Both
Quicktime and Microsoft's formats are far more prevalent.

2) you will notice that there are no binary applications in Red Hat.
This is because while they may be freely distributable their binary
nature means Red Hat cannot fix any bugs and/or security problems.
(Yes I know Red Hat did in the past but for several years now there
has been an open source policy in place).

>I'd love to see an open standard take over,
>but in the meantime do you expect linux
>users to be luddites?

Is it really any different than a Windows and/or Mac user have to
download Quicktime/Microsoft/Real (as appropriate)?

Why do some in the Linux world insist everything must come with the
distribution?  Certainly despite the marketing Windows and Mac users
seem to be quite capable of going out and downloading/installing
additional software so why can't Linux desktop users do the same

>>No one has ever managed to sell linux apps, even when they're very good.
>>That may be changing, but Redhat is being sensible in not wanting to get
>>burned again, I think.
>Can you give one example of a vendor who
>tried and failed to sell a good linux app

Loki games.

While there are binary only applications available for Linux they tend
to be business oriented where companies don't mind paying big dollars
for their needs (Oracle/DB2/Maya/etc.).