X will not start!

I have just run apt-get upgrade and now X will not start.

After I type startx the screen blanks then everything seems to just stop.  The monitor signals that it is not receiving a signal.  There are no error messages.

I can only guess that there is a dependency problem that has messed up my X.

I am thinking the most expedient way to fix my problem would be to re-install phoebe-3.  Is there a command line option I can enter to force install to do an upgrade and replace files even if they are newer?  I did try a normal upgrade and predictably nothing was installed.

Bill