Re: Redhat's intentions for streaming media support in Mozilla

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 04:12, Audioslave - 7M3 - Live wrote:
> jdow wrote:
> > From: "Audioslave - 7M3 - Live" <creed7m3live columbus rr com>
> >
> >>Question:
> >>Why do some in the Linux world insist everything must come with the
> >>distribution?  Certainly despite the marketing Windows and Mac users
> >>seem to be quite capable of going out and downloading/installing
> >>additional software so why can't Linux desktop users do the same
> >>thing?
> >>
> >>Answer:
> >>Because Red Hat is so rich of a distribution. It has most programs that
> >>you need on the distributions already. Also, the hunt is a little bit
> >>more involved. Being the 1 pecent of users operating system doesn't
> >>catch a lot of vendor support.
> >

> > Remember the key word here, "distribution." They cannot distribute what
> > is not there. Nor do they distribute in release versions programs that are
> > at best beta level. If nobody has developed a tool you want and managed
> > to get it to at least late beta status how can Red Hat deliver it.
> >
> > Remember that they are a small company, certainly in comparison to
> > Microsoft. So any development they perform is minor and must be
> > targeted with laser precision. Currently I hope they are working the
> > configuration and installation part of the picture most. (Of course,
> > their continued support for kernel development and debugging is also
> > critical to their success.)
> >
> > {^_^}
> >

> I'm hooked on Red Hat. Though I wandered occasionally. Once to Debian,
> Once to slackware, several times to ximian/redhat mixes. I also got
> started with minux. But I doubt that I'd go back to my minux use.
>
> As long as obtaining security patches, getting availability to new
> releases, hardware compatibility and data integrity keep on being high
> priorities, I can live with the disappearing programs. i'll find them
> where available. Where appropriate, I'll switch to alternative formats.
>
> I'll stick around, but will newbies venture to such an environment?
> Personally, I don't care if they come over to Linux. I just hope that it
> keeps becoming more and more capable for my needs. It is becoming better
> and better for me. I like that fact.

Excuse me but this is stupid.  I DO care for having more newbies using
Linux.  For some altruistic reasons I won't mention and for a practical
one: the bigger the Linux market and the easier it will be to get
drivers and software.  I am tired of not being able to use the latest
and greatest hardware because we don't have drivers, I am tired of
getting piss poor performance in some classes of hardware (eg scanners)
and of having to keep a list of supported hardware when I go shopping
because manufacturers don't care about us.
And I am tired of being forced to recommend Windows to my sister because
she needs very special software for optimizing the packaging of physical
goods and we will never get it until there are many million people using
Linux.

				JFM