From: Audioslave - 7M3 - Live [mailto:creed7m3live columbus rr com]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 11:50 AM
To: phoebe-list redhat com
Subject: Re: How can I mount my smart media/compact flash reader?

Jef Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 10:57, Gerry Tool wrote:
>>I have a Soyo USB storage device which is recognized by Phoebe 3, but
>>don't know how to mount it.
> It should show up as a scsi hardrive, methinks.
> /dev/sd[a,b,c,d,e...etc]  akin to how yer ide hardrives are
> /dev/hd[a,b,c,d..etc]
> What I'm still confused about is how multiple usb storage devices are
> detected and given /dev listings. If i plugin in my flash reader first,
> the my usb hardrive second... then by following the first come first
> server rule...flash reader is sda and harddrive is sdb. But when I
> reboot...how the hell does the logic work? What is to prevent the system
> from seeing the usb hardrive first and the flash reader second? And
> where do I go to be sure I know which is which? I know I can see the
> devices down in /proc/scsi....but its still unclear to be how to know
> which device is /dev/sda and which device is /dev/sdb by looking at the
> info down in /proc/scsi.
> now..if kudzu is behaving correctly it should create an fstab entry and
> a mount point for you...i think. I don't understand how kudzu and
> hotplug work together to handle mountpoints. I think kudzu found my
> flash card reader and made the mountpoint...i keep meaning to retest
> that while I'm not completely drunk.
> -jef

I waas investigating my problem for my CD writer. Your mention of the
flash reader made me curious about what scsi device my CD-writer is
supposed to be symlinked to.

Here is what /proc/scsi/scsi printed out. What device type should I use
to see if I can mount the burner? I've tried several different devices,
device numbers, etc. But It is still only recognized sucessfully, by
mount, as /dev/hdd. (recognized, but not mountable)
For me, I just use the reader to access CDROMs. I can use the burner to
sucessfully burn CDs though. But I doubt that this problem with mount
and the cdroms is supposed to be there.

[root scsi-woes scsi]# cat scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
   Vendor: SanDisk  Model: ImageMate 6 in 1 Rev: 0.0>
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
   Vendor: ATAPI    Model: CD-R/RW 12X8X32  Rev: 9.EB
   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Phoebe-list mailing list
Phoebe-list redhat com