Re: Strange problem while building RPMs

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Michael Fratoni wrote:

>> 3) Some users may not like it.  A pity because it is a godsend.
>> If someone does not like it at all, they can disable the feature
>> globally by putting the following in ~/.rpmmacros:
>>
>> _unpackaged_files_terminate_build       0
>> _missing_doc_files_terminate_build      0
>
>Is this correct? I ask because installing the redhat-rpm-config package,
>you get:
>$ grep terminate /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/macros
>%_missing_doc_files_terminate_build    0
>%_unpackaged_files_terminate_build    0
>
>Is the leading % not required?

I'd have to test it to be 100% certain.  I was going from memory,
however I leave this feature enabled by default personally, and
only disable it on XFree86 for the time being.  When I'm not
super busy, I comment them out, do a test build, and fix up a few
more files with rm.

>> In general, developers will really start to appreciate this
>> feature the more they use it as it helps to stop you from
>> forgetting to package up important or useful files in your RPM
>> packages, or to explicitly remove them if you really do not want
>> them.
>
>I disabled it initially because, as I pointed out, I had several Red Hat
>source packages that failed to build. I was surprised by this, as the
>packages used to build the distro should build without requiring the user
>to jump through hoops. (As in "What the hell am I doing wrong? Obviously
>Red Hat is able to build this.")

The redhat-rpm-config package sets up RPM to use the same build
environment used at Red Hat. Uninstall the redhat-rpm-config
package then and IIRC you get the old behavior.

>I've left it disabled because you still get a list of unpackaged files at
>the end of the build process, allowing you to fix the specfile, without
>terminating the build. In the case of a package that might take an hour
>or more to build, this can be quite useful. At least I have to option of
>fixing the package and rebuilding, or determining that the file isn't
>required. I can use the current build, and fix the specfile for the next
>time.

Sure, those are options as well.  Our redhat-rpm-config package,
if installed provides the Red Hat build environment, otherwise
you get the default rpm environment.  As always, feel free to
tweak and customize.

Take care,
TTYL