Re: X won't start with Radeon 7000

On 26 Feb 2003, Mike Chambers wrote:

>> I reported a while ago that I couldn't start X.  I have broken the
>> problem down to an issue with my new Radeon 7000.  The install process
>> correctly identifies the card but the resulting XF86Config does not
>> allow X to start.  Now that xf86config has been DELETED from the
>> distribution how does one configure X?
>
>Try redhat-config-xfree86 as this is the new command to configure X.
>
>Hrm, not sure if it was mentioned in 8.0 RELEASE-NOTES but
>redhat-config-xfree86 isn't mentioned as the new config tool in the beta
>RELEASE-NOTES though.

redhat-config-xfree86 was introduced in Red Hat Linux 8.0, and is
listed in the Red Hat Linux 8.0 release notes.  Since it is not a
new command in the existing beta, it is not in the release notes,
as it is not part of the new release.  Release notes are for
pointing out things new to the current release.

If people want to know what has changed from Red Hat Linux 7.1 or
something, then they can look at the release notes from every
release since 7.1 to see what all was added/changed each release.
We include the release notes from prior releases in our new
releases as well to allow people to keep track of all changes
that have occured since the version they're used to.

To get a full list of the release notes:

    rpm -ql redhat-release

Hope this helps anyone who hasn't read past release notes.

Take care,
TTYL