Re: apt under phoebe

Rick Emery wrote:
My sincerest apologies if this has been asked before, or if I'm just missing
something stupid. I looked in the list archives, but I couldn't find a way to
search them, and there are a huge number of messages.

I want to install apt from freshrpms.net under phoebe3 (I really like it, by the
way; the only complaint I had about psyche was that my sound card module
couldn't be loaded. phoebe used it, out of the box, with no problem). Anyway,
when I tried to install apt, it wouldn't because it expects rpm 4.1, and phoebe
installed rpm 4.2. I even tried installing with --nodeps, but it wouldn't run or
the same reason. Can anyone tell me how I can get it working?

This all came up because I wanted to install mplayer (from freshrpms.net). rpm
listed about 8 dependencies, and I know apt would resolve those. I'm not above
resolving the dependencies with up2date -i, but I don't know what packages most
of the dependencies are in, so don't know which packages to install.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

BTW, I just want to say how much I enjoy Red Hat. I started with it, and have
tried (at various times) LFS, Gentoo, Suse, Xandros, Lycoris, Mandrake, Knoppix,
Debian, and some other lesser known distros. I always come back to Red Hat.

I seem to recall something said about a version that was compiled with rpm 4.2. From memory, I believe it was through fedora.

apt-get seems like it will be a handy tool for getting programs that are outsode of RH distributions. But with Phoebe being a beta distribution, it is risky to try to use it with Phoebe packages. It was catastrophic for me, anyway.

The actual developers for these worthy projects are on this list. I'll stop here and let them guide you through the details, from their better understanding with the issues.

Jim

--
Symptom:		Drinking fails to give taste and satisfaction, beer is
			unusually pale and clear.

Symptom:		Drinking fails to give taste and satisfaction,
			and the front of your shirt is wet.
Fault:			Mouth not open when drinking or glass applied to
			wrong part of face.
Action Required:	Buy another beer and practice in front of mirror.
			Drink as many as needed to perfect drinking technique.
		-- Bar Troubleshooting