Networking, profile and devices

Someone on another list asked this questions, and I kind of wondered the
same thing, as I haven't had to use them yet.

2) Under /etc/sysconfig/networking there are to directories -- devices
> and profiles.  I don't understand how these relate to one another. The
> devices are the 'physical' cards (i.e. nic, wlan card or VPN, etc.).
> Profiles I figure are for setting up different combinations of these
> devices to be used with different settings (i.e. one profile may use the
> on board nic with a specific dns setting and another profile may use a
> wlan card set to p/u dns via dhcp).  Is this correct?  and if so, why
> are there ifcfg-eth? files in both and which one are we supposed to
> edit?  Also, how do I tell RH8 which profile to use?

Can someone answer this please?

Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen!"