Re: Mozilla memory leak

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 04:37:37PM -0500, Elton Woo wrote:
> Warren Togami wrote:
>
> >Has anyone noticed a memory leak in Mozilla? Several times after I've
> >used Mozilla
>
> >Mozilla has been 100% stable with zero crashes this entire week, this
> >memory leak seems to be the only problem.  Currently I'm posting this
> >from Mozilla and it is using 270MB of memory, beginning to feel
> >sluggish.  Only 3 windows are currently open,
>
>    I find the opposite here. Opening the first Mozilla browser window,
> it uses 70 Mb,
> but now that I've opened up four separate windows (and separate sites in
> each),
> the memory usage has actually *dropped* to 13.9 Mb.
>
> However I do *consistently* get Mozilla to crash and burn if I go to
> http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.4.1/demos/applets.html
> and click on *any* of the link therein.
>
> I have Sun's JRE (build 1.4.1-b21) installed, with the plugin from
> /usr/java/j2re1.4.1/plugin/i386/ns610 copied to
> /usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1/plugins.

And therein lies your problem, Elton. Sun proclaims LOUDLY in their
README that the plugin must only be *symlinked* not copied to the
mozilla/plugins directory. It makes a huge difference. So nuke your
libjava*.so copy and setup a symlink and try the page again.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg shaw ca