Re: linux-wlan-ng?

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 11:11, Mr. Adam ALLEN wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 15:08, Constantinos Antoniou wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have not installed limbo, but am a longtime redhat user (currently
> > using 8.0/7.3/7.2 on several machines), and am following the discussions
> > on the upcoming 8.1 release.
> >
> > Now that acpi is coming in the default kernel (kernel-utils I think) the
> > main reason for me to compile a custom kernel would be for my wireless
> > card (802.11b) to work. ( http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/)
> >
> > With RH7.3, RH8 it has been pretty straightforward, but by compiling my
> > own kernel (starting from vanilla) I miss some of the extra patches that
> > RH puts in the kernel and I am out of the RH-kernel-update cycle (e.g.
> > through up2date).
> >
> > Any experience with limbo+wlan-ng?
> >
> Not installed phoebe on the laptop as yet, but wlan-ng doesn't demand a
> re-compile of the kernel, just that wlan-ng drivers are compiled against
> the running kernel. This means each time RH release a new kernel via
> up2date, the kernel-source must be installed, and the drivers
> re-compiled against the updated kernel. - a process that could be
> automated without too much effort.

Thanks for the reply. I do not remember the exact problem, so I will
wait until the next install and hopefully this will be as
straightforward as you describe.

Constantinos Antoniou
Ph.D. Candidate
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Intelligent Transportation Systems Program
77 Massachusetts Ave., NE20-208, Cambridge, MA 02139
(T) 617-252-1113 * (F) 617-252-1130 * (email) costas mit edu