Re: WindowMaker no longer shipped? Why?

Matthew Miller wrote:

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 10:53:44PM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:

WindowMaker is no longer maintained, but it's still a mature

Who says it's no longer maintained? I seem to have missed that. There was a new release just two months ago.

Well RH is certainly not maintaining it. Over 50% of the root menus were for programs no longer included in 8.0.

Personally I think they need to provide a lighter window manager like blackbox. I was installing 8.0 on a system with 20M of memory the other week. I couldn't run gnome or kde at all. I had to spawn X without a wm, and download blackbox from freshrpms. (Well actually I installed apt, and then apt-get install blackbox.)

There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.
(The Second Rule of Hardware Acquisition)
Sam Flory  <sflory rackable com>