X cursor, NVidia drivers

Hi,

I've been using Phoebe on my laptop for a couple of days now. I'm still
fighting with GNOME in order to get things to my liking (the bugs I've
found have already been reported), but I have more important problems to
take care of.

The first one is probably totally stupid : Why is my cursor red? It hasn't
always been, I've even had it change from white to red and back during the
same session... is X doing that for some reason?

The second is with those good old binary-thus-not-supported NVidia drivers,
as my X server crashes if ever I try to launch it with the glx extension
enabled. Right now it's running fine with my same XF86Config I had with Red
Hat Linux 7.3's X but without glx, thus any kind of OpenGL acceleration. I
wouldn't mind using the free "nv" driver, but it still doesn't seem to
support GeForce 2 Go cards, so even for 2D I'm stuck :-(

Now to a more general question : When I switch workspaces, it's slow like
hell to redraw all open windows, even with say one terminal per workspace.
Although it would be strange, could it be a combination of the new XFree86
and not having glx enabled? (with all that obscure NVidia stuff, nothing
much surprises me anymore!)

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.92 (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.2
Load : 0.04 0.09 0.16, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:55)