gnome control-center

I installed this using up2date control-center and started gneom-control-center
but I get this message :
Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
 CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0
repeated 4 times and when I click on any of the icons.

At least I now have xscreensaver which was the only application installed as a
dependent.

I actually wanted to install gnome desktop, but there does not seem to be a
way to do this without rh package manager and a CD.