Sawfish limitations with GNOME 2

Hi,

As a great sawfish fan, I'm really frustrated about GNOME 2 : I've tried
using Psyche's GNOME 2 with sawfish, but it was really painful and IIRC the
sawfish package was buggy, and since the only machine I currently have
Psyche installed is a multimedia box that I only use to play movies, watch
TV and relax with xmame, I left metacity as it didn't make much of a
difference anyhow.

But now, I've finally switched to GNOME 2 (using Phoebe, "I like to live
dangerously" as Austin Powers would say) on my everyday use laptop, and not
only do I miss many things I was used to, but using sawfish has become a
non-option.

I really understand that GNOME 2 is oriented towards apparent simplicity,
which I totally agree with as it will be less scary for th rest of my
family to use (no, really!), but I'd really like more advanced users to
still be able to tweak more settings without everything bombing.

A few issues (too vague to bugzilla them I guess) :

- Switching to sawfish is a nightmare.
The current "Sessions" preference program is probably buggy. Also, through
gconf-editor, under "desktop -> gnome -> applications -> window_manager"
there are two settings "current" and "default" that are originally
"/usr/bin/metacity" and that act weird when changed, or else I
misunderstood them. But if those two settings had descriptions, it would
help! And if changing the programs there was enough to switch window
manager when logging back in, I'd be very happy!

- When using sawfish, GNOME 2 acts weird.
While running sawfish, I was unable to have the number of workspaces to be
kept between sessions. Also, the "themes" preferences application would
segfault immediately... and work again fine as soon as metacity was back!

- The sawfish included in Phoebe is limited.
I don't really know if this is because the latest GNOME 2 compatible
versions of sawfish have many options removed or what, but I wasn't able to
find the advanced settings I'm used to like the ability to drag
applications across viewports, the raise delays or even the sloppy focus!
And I'm the kind that can't live without sloppy focus and a customizable
raise delay (luckily, metacity does provide this!).

Anyway... now I don't really know what to do : I really miss many sawfish
functionalities like dragging windows across viewports as mentionned
earlier, matched windows with different themes, the "best fit" placement
option (it's not in the current sawfish's default options...), the ease to
hide applications from the panel's window list or have them sticky between
sessions (still can't figure how to always have gaim on all workspaces by
default when I log in using metacity!), applications to only focus on click
etc.

Should I bug Havoc with RFEs for metacity? Should I bug GNOME people in
general or the Sawfish folks in order to have better integration of both
together?
Oh, and is the current sawfish really so limited or am I missing something?

Sorry for the rants... ;-)
Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.92 (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.2
Load : 0.09 0.09 0.21, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:48)