Re: Sawfish limitations with GNOME 2

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 03:23:59PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:13:12AM +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:

> > - Switching to sawfish is a nightmare.
> > - When using sawfish, GNOME 2 acts weird.
> > - The sawfish included in Phoebe is limited.

> If someone wants a featuritis window manager with GNOME, then they
> will write one - that's really what it comes down to.  We can't
> maintain Sawfish at Red Hat; even if it *weren't* written in its own
> dialect of Lisp that no one understands, we don't have the necessary
> rather large amount of time involved. Even with metacity's deliberate
> keep-it-unbloated policy, it takes me a lot of time.
> (I also have the opinion that the bugs in Sawfish, and its greater
> configurability, are not orthogonal/unrelated facts - but anyway.)

I think it was a very great mistake not to create Gnome with it's
own integrated window manager from the beginning.
(Enlightenment, Sawfish, Metacity,..., what will we get next?)
What is a desktop without a window manager.

Now this big complex growing thing is dependent on the whims of
others. This is an idiotic situation. You can't just say 'write your own'!

Metacity is a good beginning. Now it should be taken up and developed
further by the whole Gnome community and become an essential part of Gnome.

It isn't a question of 'featuritis'. Some things are just plain missing.

Alexander

--
*The United States must fully disclose and destroy
 it's Weapons of Mass Destruction*