Re: Sawfish limitations with GNOME 2

Jef Spaleta <jspaleta princeton edu> wrote :

> On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 15:23, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > I just got fed up and wrote my own. Or write a new pager
> > or tasklist or window matcher or other module using libwnck, or write
> > a plugin for WMs that have that.
>
> like devilspie?
> http://www.burtonini.com/cgi/pyblosxom.cgi

The description looks interesting indeed!
"A window-matching utility, inspired by Sawfish's "Matched Windows" option
and the lack of the functionality in Metacity. Metacity lacking window
matching is not a bad thing -- Metacity is a lean window manager, and
window matching does not have to be a window manager task."

"Devil's Pie can be configured to detect windows as they are created, and
match the window to a set of rules. If the window matches the rules, it can
perform a series of actions on that window. For example, I make all windows
created by X-Chat appear on all workspaces, and the main Gkrellm1 window
does not appear in the pager or task list. "

Sounds like it can do exaclt what I was looking for for both gkrellm and
gaim! I'll try it as soon as I can... now if only I could find a way to
drag windows across workspaces with a medium edge resistance... uh? What do
you mean by "dream on"!? ;-)

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.92 (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.2
Load : 0.03 0.38 0.48, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:48)